Grass seed blanket is a pre-seeded lawn mat, natural and completely biodegradable, as well as adheres flawlessly to the ground. Inside the weft are enclosed seeds coming from the most different turf grass species, sheltered from the rain and the massive irrigations, from the birds and the bugs.
It is an easy way to plant grass. You prepare and level the soil, roll out the mats, lightly cover them with some compost or amendment, and then water frequently to maintain the mats and also seed wet. In a couple of weeks, the seed sprouts, and you, have a lawn. In time, the mat breaks down.
Since everything the seed requires is contained in the mat, you can even grow this turf on top of concrete. It is like a “repair service package” for lawns – little squares of seed and matting that you sprout on the outdoor patio or driveway and then utilize for covering bare spots in existing lawns.
The result will be a sound, thick lawn, and the weeds control will be improved too.
- No loss of seeds because of the extreme depth as with conventional sowing
- Excellent results even on steep slopes
- Safeguards the soil from the scouring as well as the disintegration
- Suitable also for the canal and also pond banks and for roofing system gardens.
Use Grass Seed Blanket Rolls Over Existing Grass
Grass seed blanket rolls provide a means to re-seed bare spots in the lawn with an increased opportunity of success. These germination blankets enable light as well as water to reach seeds beneath them so they will germinate. Blankets also warm the soil to sprout seeds more quickly. Hefty rains could wash away the seeds, yet seed coverings hold the seeds in place, so they do not wash right into one spot, leaving the sprout in clumps and leave other areas bare. A seed blanket also secures seeds and emerging blades, so pets and also birds do not eat them. These types of blankets can be used in sparse locations over existing yard to help your grass fill in evenly.
Choose grass seed that is the same type as your existing grass for a seamless yard. Plant cool-weather lawns in early springtime or autumn. Plant warm-season turfs from the middle of spring until the middle of summer. These growing times permit yard seed to become established quicker. Biodegradable blankets and stakes start to break down within about 6 weeks.
Grass Seed Blanket Instructions
Follow the below grass seed blanket instructions to reseeding your lawn for an even distribution over existing grass.
Things You Will Need
- Measuring tape
- Garden rake
- Grass starter fertilizer
- Fertilizer broadcaster
- Grass seed
- Grass seed blanket (biodegradable)
- Biodegradable stakes
- Rubber mallet
- Garden hose
- Sprinkler (optional)
- Trim your grass, consisting of the areas that need grass seed and the lawn that is growing close by. Measure the sparse areas that will need the seed to figure out just how much seed germination blanketing you will need. Rolls generally come in sizes of 4, 6, 8, 12 and 16 feet and in lengths of 20 to 200 yards.
- Rake the sparse areas with a garden rake to get rid of any dead grass, grass cuttings, rocks or rocks. Loosen the soil about 2 inches deep to aerate it. These helps to establish lawn seeds.
- Sprinkle grass starter fertilizer on the planting areas according to the package directions. You can sprinkle the fertilizer by hand on small patches or use a broadcaster to feed the whole lawn and also rejuvenate the established grass.
- Place grass seed evenly in the bare spots by hand or use a broadcaster to apply grass seed to larger areas. Follow the package instructions on how heavily to spread out the seed. Do not overseed areas, as the yard will be uneven and grow in clumps.
- Lay a seed germination blanket roll on one side of a bare area, about 3 inches from the sparse area. Turn the roll with the beginning edge facing you, laying flat on the ground and the roll facing the bare spot. The thicker netting side that is on the beginning edge near you faces up. Push the roll throughout the empty spot to bypass the other end of the bare area about 3 inches. Cut the excess of the roll off with scissors.
- Roll out additional lengths of a germination blanket overlapping each length by 3 inches to cover large spots.
- Place biodegradable stakes into the sides of the blanket. Drive them into the lawn with a rubber mallet until they are flush with the ground. Insert stakes surrounding each area and on any overlapping areas at the intervals defined by the supplier.
- Turn on a garden hose and thoroughly soak the blankets. If you have a large area, turn a sprinkler on the location and enable the blankets to become wet to the point of overflow.
- Water the blankets to keep them thoroughly moist until grass sprouts through the blanket.
- Allow the grass sprouts to grow to around 2 to 3 inches tall before you mow those areas.
Erosion Control Blanket
Erosion control blanket is used to prevent surface erosion as well as accelerate the establishment of vegetation. Commonly, blankets are meant for the following applications:.
- Slope protection.
- Channel and ditch linings.
- Reservoir embankments and spillways.
- Culvert inlets and outfalls.
- Dikes, levees and riverbanks.
Erosion control blankets provide a mechanically stabilized form of instant cover, operating as a barrier against both the detachment and transport phase of erosion process until plants or reinforced vegetation assume this function.
Erosion control coverings are usually woven from a selected material and are meant to slow down the speed at which water moves across the surface area. The product selected is generally something with lots of ridges and blockages for the water to decrease on. There are many different types of erosion control blankets. Some are synthetic while others are natural. There are even some that are both artificial and natural. These blankets can be constructed out of straw, coconut fiber, aspen fiber, hemp, as well as polypropylene (plastic). Most of them can be bought in several sizes. Typical ones are 80 to 100 square yards. Most of these are wrapped and cut into sizes varying from 3 to 8 feet wide.
Grass Seed Blanket Home Depot
Here are the popular items available at the section of Grass Seed Blanket Home Depot:
Pennington 18 ft. x 39 in. Seed Starter Mat
The Pennington Seed Starter Mat holds grass seed in place, making it ideal for hills and slopes. The natural-fiber mat holds the proper amount of moisture for reliable germination and helps control weeds while the grass is establishing.
- Ideal for starting a new lawn
- Holds grass seed in place
- Biodegradable mats are easier to use than traditional wheat straw without the mess
- Mat naturally degrades – no clean up
- Netless blanket won’t trap animals or tangle in lawn mowers
- Helps prevent weeds
- Holds moisture
- Covers up to 58.5 sq. ft.
- Starter mat only (grass seed sold separately)
8 ft. x 112.5 ft. Polypropylene Single Net Straw Erosion Control Blanket
Mutual Industries 8 ft. x 112.5 ft. Single Net Straw Erosion Control Blankets are made of 100% weed free agricultural straw and light weight polypropylene top netting with photodegradable stitching on 2 in. centers. Excellent erosion control fabric for use on slopes up to 3:1 and low flow channels. At 8 ft. x 112.5 ft. each blanket provides 100 sq. yd of protection. Blanket lifetime is approximately 12-months.
- 100% weed free agricultural straw
- A favorite for short-term erosion control application
- Perfect for hillside erosion control
- Use with vegetation that takes root fast
4 ft. x 180 ft. Green Single Net Seed Germination and Erosion Control Blanket
This excelsior blanket helps to promote germination of newly-planted seeds by protecting seeds from erosion. It is made of weed-free shaved aspen fibers and a fully-integrated degradable net that provides increased stability to the blanket. To use, simply roll it out over a seeded area and secure with pins. The excelsior fibers help to retain moisture while also covering the seed and the green color is instantly pleasing to the eye. Over time, the blanket materials will degrade, leaving you with virtually no cleanup.
- Helps prevent wind and water erosion of recently-planted seeds
- Blanket is bio- and photo-degradable for hassle-free cleanup
- Smaller size is easy to handle and great for jobs around the home
- Made from shaved aspen wood fibers which retain water and promote seed germination
- Green color instantly simulates the look of grass